Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Genius of Steve Jobs

As an accountant I have never been a user of Apple products, they were never designed for accounting/tax environment where PC’s and Windows dominate.  As a business man what most impressed me about Apple products was its user’s absolute compulsion to show me what their devices could do.  It was most apparent on iPhones but has continued unabated with iPads.  The subject would come up when interviewing clients on potential tax deductions for the year.  Even in tax season with its short appointment time’s clients simply HAD to show me their favorite cool app. 

The book editor/author that loved the app that recognized font names when you held the phone up to any typeface, or the recording studio owner who loved the app that could identify a recording (artist, song title, record label, etc) when the phone was put up to the speaker.  The studio owner made me pick the most obscure CD I had in the office so he could demonstrate (and, of course in both instances you were able to purchase said font or recording right from your phone).  I would joke when I interviewed clients that told me they had purchased an iPhone or iPad how folks HAD to show me something that the device could do in an attempt to circumvent the coming demonstration, but it was always to no avail.  The compulsion to show and demonstrate something the device was capable of was just too powerful! 

I can’t think of any other product made by any company that fosters such a compulsion, or a piece of technology that people feel so connected to and love (we PC/Windows users have always had a clear love/hate relationship with our technology, love it when it is working well, hate it when it isn’t - which happened regularly in the pre-Window’s 7 environment).  There are products I like that if you ASK me about them I will tell you what I like, but a product that I HAVE to tell you about and demonstrate whether you ask or not, that is the result of genius.  RIP Steve Jobs   

No comments:

Post a Comment